Written by Kylee, Plymouth Aesthetician
What Is ‘Maskne’ & What Causes It?
With mask-wearing at an all-time high, people are starting to notice problematic skin in the areas covered by their mask. These breakouts are what we have nicknamed “maskne” or mask acne. “Maskne” is caused by several things, one mainly being wearing a dirty face covering. Leftover residue from makeup, sweat, dirt, oil and bacteria can lead to acne and clog your pores. By simply re-wearing your unwashed face-covering in the summer heat, you are providing a perfect breeding ground for acne. Luckily, we are here to let you in on the ways to treat and prevent “maskne”.
How to Prevent ‘Maskne’:
- Wear a fresh and clean mask every time you cover your face. Wearing a reusable cloth face covering? After each use put the mask in a washable garment bag and throw in the washer on a hot cycle to ensure cleanliness.
- Forget about makeup. That’s a bonus about wearing a mask, no one is going to see the majority of your face. Want to continue wearing makeup? Avoid putting makeup on the areas that your mask covers; this will allow your skin to breathe and helps keeps your mask makeup or stain free.
- Focus on skincare. At the end of the night be sure to fully cleanse your skin. This is best done with a two-step cleansing routine. We recommend is Environ Dual Action Pre-Cleansing Oil, a lightweight oily mixture that melts away makeup, sunscreen, impurities and more. Follow up with Rhonda Allison Beta Green Tea Cleanser, a bubbling antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory cleanser that will purify and calm skin. Follow with your favorite toner and moisturizer for the best results.
- Sometimes though, no matter how hard you try to prevent, problematic skin issues still occur. So below are a few things you can do to help treat your “maskne”.
How to Treat ‘Maskne’:
One of the best ways to treat and prevent breakouts is by seeing your skincare professional regularly. From facials to specialized treatments, the secret to great skin is consistency.
- I recommend getting an Express Clean Facial at least once every month. This hour-long facial focuses on cleaning, extracting and calming acne-prone skin.
- For those of you who want maximum results with minimal commitment, I recommend our Deluxe HydraFacial. This service is a non-invasive, medical-grade treatment that assists a variety of skin types and conditions. As a 4-in-1 treatment, it provides deep-pore cleansing, exfoliation and extraction for brighter, more even-looking and intensely hydrated skin! If you struggle with acne, this can greatly benefit you. We offer three variations of our HydraFacial, with each one containing a peel that we use to exfoliate. This peel uses Glycolic acid (used for anti-aging, pigment reduction and skin smoothing) mixed with salicylic acid (used to treat problematic skin areas and help skin heal), while our Advanced HydraFacial uses a more intense peel for better exfoliation. The Deluxe and Advanced HydraFacials also include the benefits of LED Light Therapy to address your individual skin care needs. Red lights are utilized for anti-aging, pigment, healing and collagen boosting, while blue lights are used for acne, clogged pores and oily skin. All your “maskne” problems are identified, addressed and diminished during this quick 45-to-60 minute service.
- Avoid picking! I know having blemishes on your skin makes it tempting to touch but leave the “picking” to a professional who understands your skin on the molecular level!
- Spot treatments are your friend! Another way you can treat “maskne” is by using a spot treatment on blemishes nightly. A great spot treatment is Rhonda Allison Blemish Serum. This lightweight liquid serum addresses problem areas without being too harsh or over-drying.
- Consistent Skin Care for the Win! Generally speaking, prioritizing a consistent skincare routine can greatly impact the quality of your skin. Make sure you are cleansing, toning, treating and moisturizing your skin every morning and every night.
- Not sure where to start or having trouble finding the right skincare products for you? Call into any Simonson’s location and schedule a consultation appointment with a licensed Aesthetician where they will craft a personalized skincare routine that is customized for you, your budget and your skincare needs.
Everyone’s safety has always been one of our top priorities. Simonson’s meticulously follows the Board of Cosmetology’s cleaning and sanitation rules and regulations, in addition to our own robust safety and sanitation protocols, making Simonson’s Salon & Spa one of the safest places to receive personal care services – and yes, that includes facials!