Ring in the new year with a list of resolutions that will help improve your skin (and your makeup collection!). Set goals that are good for your health and will keep you looking your best.
1.I will clean my makeup brushes. Cleaning your brushes will help them last longer and will reduce your chances of breakouts. Win-win!
2. I will wear SPF every day. Daily use of SPF 15 or higher sunscreen reduces the risk of developing melanoma by 50 percent, according to The Skin Cancer Foundation.
3. I will find a skincare regimen that works for me. A proper skincare regimen starts with finding the right products for your skin type. Do you have dry or dehydrated skin? Oily skin? Combination skin? Introduce new products one at a time so you can see how they affect your skin. Once you’ve got your cleanser, toner and moisturizer, learn how to layer your skincare.
4. I will try new colors. Do you play it safe with neutrals? Challenge yourself to add some color to your palette, whether it’s a bold lip or a new shade of eye shadow.
5. I will not pick at my acne. Stop the spread of acne-causing bacteria. Cleanse your skin twice a day and spot treat acne as needed, but don’t pick and prod at your breakouts, you’ll make it worse! You may even consider getting a professional acne treatment, which leads us to our next beauty resolution…
6. I will treat myself to a facial. Nothing beats a professional skincare treatment at the spa.
7. I will find a red lipstick I love. Learn how to find the perfect red lip and test drive a few shades to find the one that’s right for your skin tone.
8. I will throw out expired products. Look on the back of your skincare products for an icon of a small container and lid with a number inside. This period after opening symbol tells you the lifetime of a product after it has been opened. For example, if your hand cream says 30M, the product is good to use for 30 months after you first open it. To keep track of how old your products are, write the month and year in permanent marker on all of your tubes. Every six months go through your stash and toss old product.
9. I will drink LOTS of water. It’s no myth, drinking water is good for your skin! Prevent dehydration by drinking plenty of water and lock the moisture into your skin with a moisturizer.
10. I will remove my makeup every night before bed. Sleeping in your makeup can lead to premature aging, so wash your face in the evening to wash the day away.