In collaboration with Laura Kastenbauer, Clean Water Action Minnesota Program Organizer
Many of us are familiar with the idea that hard water is bad for our hair, but did you know that many other chemicals and minerals could be lurking behind your shower head? Not only that, but your home’s water could also be harming your skin too!
Simonson’s has partnered with Clean Water Action Minnesota to address some of the concerns surrounding what’s in our home’s water.
HOW YOUR WATER CAN DAMAGE YOUR HAIR
EFFECTS ON YOUR HAIR
- Leaving your hair dull
- Mudding or altering the color of your hair
- Color distortion, including turning your hair green yellow, orange, or brown
- Leaving your hair feeling dry or straw-like
- Unmanageable texture
- Itchy scalp
- Increase in oil production
- Fading your color
- Thinning or even hair loss
- Weighted-down hair
- Hard to lather your shampoo
- Limp and unhealthy hair
SOLUTIONS FOR YOUR HAIR
- Get yourself a quality clarifying shampoo – and no not from the drugstore! Many common brands will dry out your hair or cause the minerals to cling to your locks.
- Pick up Malibu Wellness Mineral Remover packets to use at-home, or add a Mineral Removing Treatment to your next salon visit to help wash away all the gunk clinging to your hair
- ColorWow Dream Filter Pre-Shampoo Mineral Remover Spray is your secret weapon! It acts like a magnet attracting unwanted minerals and metals from your hair, scalp and water. Leaving you with lighter, brighter, cleaner and picture-perfect hair in mere minutes!
HOW YOUR WATER CAN AFFECT YOUR SKIN
EFFECTS ON YOUR SKIN
- Increased skin irritation
- Those with sensitive skin, psoriasis or eczema may see a spike in flare-ups or increased dryness
- Reduction in natural oil production, resulting in an over production of oil
- Clogged pores
- Increased chance of fine lines or wrinkles appearing
SOLUTIONS FOR YOUR SKIN
- Avoid harsh soaps that can dry out your skin even more
- Use Environ AVST Cleansing Lotion, a pH-balancing and hydrating cleanser that doesn’t strip your skin’s natural oils!
- Apply a rich moisturizing lotion, such as Environ Super Moisturizer, that restores your skin’s natural moisture balance.
- Schedule yourself a HydraFacial to help remove all the build-up and leave your skin flushed with antioxidants and hydration!
WHAT IS IN MY WATER?
Besides just having hard water, there can be many other minerals or chemicals in the water. Iron, nitrates, arsenic, microorganisms, aluminum, and fluoride are the most common contaminants in our drinking water. Chlorine is the most common disinfectant which can be hard on skin and hair. While longer showers can lead to chlorine getting into your body, even a brief encounter with it can be irritating. Also, highly regulated byproducts of chlorine (known as disinfection byproducts or DBPs) have been known to be irritating to respiratory systems when inhaled in larger quantities in humid environments, such as in the shower. All water systems must inform customers of the DBP levels, so be sure to ask about it when you receive your next water bill.
City water systems are required to keep us safe, but proper local maintenance and action can ensure that you and your family have water that is both safe to drink and safe to use!
Our friends at Clean Water Action Minnesota are tirelessly working to help bring clean water to a neighborhood like yours!
Want to get an overview of what’s in your water? CLICK HERE!
Learn how to test your water & many other great resources – CLICK HERE!
About Clean Water Action Minnesota:
Since our founding during the campaign to pass the landmark Clean Water Act in 1972, Clean Water Action has worked to win strong health and environmental protections by bringing issue expertise, solution-oriented thinking and people power to the table.
To protect our environment, health, economic well-being and community quality of life. Clean Water Action organizes strong grassroots groups and coalitions, and campaigns to elect environmental candidates and to solve environmental and community problems.
Together we’re making a difference for Clean Water.
Take action to protect drinking water and clean up polluted waterways:
- Get health-harming toxics out of everyday products;
- Protect our water from dirty energy threats – drilling and fracking for oil and gas, and power plant pollution;
- Build a future of clean water and clean energy;
- Keep our clean water laws strong and effective to protect water and health.
For questions or more information about Clean Water Action Minnesota, please visit https://www.cleanwateraction.org/states/minnesota or email [email protected].