While it is always recommended to visit a salon or spa for the safe removal of hair extensions, eyelash extensions, artificial nails, or gel polish, sometimes it isn’t possible. With all salon and spas being temporarily closed throughout the state of Minnesota, Simonson’s Salon & Spa offers a Do-At-Home Removal Guide, which details products needed and includes a step-by-step guide.
Hair Extension Removal At Home
- Ponytail binder and/or hair clips
- Hair Oil – We recommend Unite U Oil, Moroccanoil Treatment or Kevin Murphy Young.Again Treatment
- Coconut or Olive Oil may be used, but results may be a bit unpredictable and the time required may be longer
- 100% Acetone Nail Polish Remover can be used, but only as a last resort. We recommend trying all other options before this product is used
- Rattail comb or another pointed-end comb
Directions on Removal
- Brush out your hair from root to ends thoroughly to ensure no snarls or knots
- Working from the top down, part your hair with the Rat Tail Comb so that your first row of extensions are visible.
- Clip unnecessary hair out of the way
- Gently lift the top of the tape slightly to ensure the next steps achieve maximum results
- Apply Hair Oil directly to the lifted tape
- Let sit for roughly 30 seconds then begin to gently rub the tape together until you can feel the bonds loosen. Continue until all bonds are loosened.
- Once loosened, VERY gently begin to pull the two panels apart. If ANY resistance or adhesive remains, stop and continue step 5-6 again.
- Once removed, place the two panels back together to ensure they don’t get caught on other hair
- Continue on all tape-in extensions you have.
Eyelash Extension At Home Removal
- Large Bowl
- Hot or Steaming Water
- Medium to large towel
- Coconut or Baby Oil
- Facial Cleanser
- Clean Mascara Wand or brush
- OPTIONAL: Cotton round
- OPTIONAL: Revitalash Advanced Eyelash Conditioner
Directions on Removal:
Simonson’s Salon & Spa strongly recommends allowing the natural outgrowth and removal of your eyelash extensions; however, we understand that some may wish for immediate removal. Simonson’s assumes no responsibility or liability for those who choose to self-remove their eyelash extensions.
- Pour the Hot Steaming Water into the Large Bowl. Lower your head over the bowl and place the Towel over your head, making sure no steam can escape. Steam your face, with your eyes closed for 10-15 minutes.
- Immediately after steaming your face, use your Clean Mascara Wand to zig-zag from eyelash roots to tips, helping to loosen any extensions. Repeat multiple times.
- Using your fingers, gently massage the Coconut or Baby Oil onto one closed eye, from eyelash root to tip. NOTE: Only do one eye at a time for safety reasons. This will slowly loosen the adhesive of the lashes and they will begin to slip off.
BE PATIENT! This process will take longer than a professional removal, so continue to gently and carefully massage the oil onto your lashes. Being careful not to get any oil into your eye. Keep your eye closed during the entire process.
- Once lashes are no longer are slipping off, immediately wash your face with your facial cleanser and remove ALL excess oil product. Utilize the Cotton Round to ensure no product or oil remains. Repeat this step until absolutely no oil product remains. You may now open your eye and move on to the other eye.
- After all eyelash extensions have been removed and your face and eyes are clear of oils, use your Clean Mascara Wand to thoroughly sweep through your lashes in a zig-zag pattern from root to tip.
- OPTIONAL: Utilize this time away from salon and spa services to strengthen, curl and condition your natural lashes by using RevitaLash Advanced EyeLash Conditioner. This formula can be applied directly to your lashes directly above your lash line once per day and you should begin noticing thicker and longer lashes almost immediately!
Gel Polish At Home Removal
- 100% Acetone Nail Polish Remover
- Nail File
- Cotton Balls or cotton pads (cut into halves or thirds)
- Aluminum foil cut into squares
- A cuticle stick
- CND Solar Oil
- Rubbing Alcohol
- OPTIONAL: CND Rescue RXx
- OPTIONAL: Voesh CBD Collagen Gloves
Remove Gel Polish At Home:
- Prep all products and have them on-hand ready to go.
- Apply CND Solar Oil to the edges of your nails. Let sit for 1 minute then work into and on the nail.
- For added benefit, apply VOESH CBD Collagen Gloves for intense moisture, muscle relaxation and to visibly restore youthfulness to your hands. Wrap hands in a warm towel for maximum relaxation and let sit for 5-10 minutes. If you applied the Collagen Gloves and after 5-10 minutes, gently peel away the fingertips of the Collagen Gloves, while keeping the palm still covered.
- Using your Nail File, with light pressure, gently begin to remove the shine of the gel polish
- Fully saturate a Cotton Ball with Acetone Nail Polish Remover. Place it directly on top of your nail, then wrap the cotton ball and your nail with an Aluminum Foil square.
- Let sit for at least 15-20 minutes. For added assistance in removal of the polish, wrap your hands in a towel.
- DO NOT PEEK! Watch your favorite Netflix show and do not look inside the foil! At the 15 minute mark, work one nail at a time and gently press and twist the foil and cotton off each nail. Take your time. The cotton ball should have a fair amount of gel residue attached to it at this point.
- Using the Cuticle Stick, gently work the remaining gel residue off of each nail, working from the cuticle area towards the top of your nail. If the polish is stubborn or refuses to come off, repeat steps 4-6.
- Once all the polish is removed, apply Rubbing Alcohol to a cotton ball and lightly cleanse the nail surface.
- Now is the time to peel off the Collagen Gloves and flip them inside out. Massage in the remaining product on your hands and arms.
- To ensure your nails are in optimal condition, we strongly recommend finishing your gel polish removal by applying CND Rescue RXx to restore and repair your nails. Apply to nails at least twice a day by massaging the serum onto the entire nail, nail edge and cuticle.
TIPS ON ARTIFICIAL / LCN NAIL REMOVAL
Completely removing the LCN, or light-cured resin nail is nearly impossible without a skilled Nail Technician. The best removal of LCN nails at home is time and letting the nails grow naturally, but by following the proper steps below you will begin to minimize the appearance of the LCN nails while reducing any damage done your natural nails. It is important to note that one should not expect to buff, file or trim ALL the LCN material away as this will cause serious harm to your nail. Simonson’s Salon and Spa assumes no responsibility or liability for those who choose to or attempt the removal of LCN nails.
Products Required To Minimize LCN Outgrowth:
- Nail File
- Antibacterial Soap
- CND Solar Oil
- VOESH CBD Collagen Gloves
- Warm Water
- Cuticle Stick
- CND Rescue RXx
- OPTIONAL: Nail Buffer
How To Care For Your LCN / Artificial Nails:
- Wash hands with Antibacterial Soap, dry hands and apply CND Solar Oil to the edge of nails and cuticles. Let sit for 5 minutes then place hands into Bowl with Warm Water. Let sit in the water for another 5-10 minutes to allow for cuticles to thoroughly soften.
- Remove hands from water and pat dry with Towel. Immediately apply CBD Collagen Gloves and wrap hands in a warm towel. Let sit for 5-10 minutes. After 5-10 minutes, peel the fingertips off the gloves using the pre-tear line.
- Utilize a Cuticle Stick to gently press your cuticles back to reveal new growth.
- Using your Nail File, with light pressure, gently begin to buff away the LCN nail, being extremely careful not to buff, file or damage your natural nail underneath.
- Check under the LCN material for where your natural nail is. Use your Nail File to carefully file outgrowth of the LCN material shorter. Do NOT cut your nails as this can damage your natural nail.
- BE PATIENT! You will not remove all of the LCN material in one go. This is a process and will require daily maintenance. Do NOT over file, buff or trim your nail as this will cause serious damage to your natural nails.
- Repeat steps 1-6 every three to four days.
- MOST IMPORTANTLY! Every day you will need to apply CND Rescue RXx to the edge of your nails, cuticles, under your nail and massage into your nail. Let sit for 5 minutes before continuing with your day. Excess serum will remain, but after the 5-minute timeframe, you can resume your day. We recommend leaving the remainder of the product on as long as possible to ensure the CND Rescue RXx can penetrate deep into your nails to help strengthen, soften and condition your natural nail.
- If for any reason, you see yellowing or green on the nail, immediately use the Nail File to file away the LCN material.